AKC PuppyFinder: Yorkshire Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sprightly, tomboyish, and affectionate
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Yorkies are moderately active and will be happy with a daily satisfying walk
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Infrequent
- Grooming: Daily
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 7-8 inches
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 11-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Inside the tiny, adorable Yorkshire Terrier's body is a feisty and confident spirit. Originally bred as ratters, the breed has become more of a companion dog and is one of the most popular dogs in the country. Your Yorkshire Terrier puppy will be filled with energy and curiosity; always ready for a romp. Above all, he's a loyal, loving and gentle friend, who is happiest spending time with his people. Weighing in a 4-7 pounds, the Yorkie is a great choice for city dwellers.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1885
Breed History & Job Description: Now they may strut around the show ring in ribbons and bows, but Yorkies have a history as blue-collar workers. They were bred by Scottish weavers who migrated to Yorkshire in the 19th century and needed a dog that could hunt vermin in the fabric mills. (Some people used to jokingly ask if the breed’s silky coat was spun in the mills.) During World War II, a Yorkie named Smoky helped save the lives of soldiers by carrying a communications wire through an underground tunnel.
Yorkshire Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like eye disease and patellar luxation. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Yorkshire Terriers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Patella Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Yorkshire Terrier Club of America Rescue, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com, Barbara Meskan
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.theyorkshireterrierclubofamerica.org/aboutYorkies-rescue
Click here to see all Yorkshire Terrier Rescue Groups.