AKC PuppyFinder: Wirehaired Vizsla Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Calm and gentle around the house; an exuberant hunter on land or lake
- Energy Level: Very Active; An energetic worker built for long days in the field; they enjoy hunting, swimming, and upbeat play
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 22.75-25.25 inches (male), 21.25-23.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 55-65 pounds (male), 45-55 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The Wirehaired Vizsla is both a talented hunter and gentle family companion. He's hard-working, athletic and trainable, excelling in the field and at dog sports, like obedience and agility. At home he's affectionate and loyal, eager to join in family activities. Your Wirehaired Vizsla puppy responds well to positive, gentle training, especially if it includes some fun. He's a born athlete and worker, and thrives on lots of mental stimulation and exercise. He'll be a lovable addition to an active, outdoorsy family.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2014
Breed History & Job Description: The origins of dogs developed in the 20th century are much better documented than older breeds, so we know in detail of how WVs were created in the 1930s. But here’s the short version: Hungarian hunters and falconers wanted a dog with the same drive and versatility of their beloved Vizslas, but with a sturdier frame and a denser coat, the better to work on punishing terrain and in cold weather. They achieved this by judicious crosses of Vizslas and German Wirehaired Pointers.
Wirehaired Viszlas are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Wirehaired Viszlas are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no Wirehaired Vizsla puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.