AKC PuppyFinder: West Highland White Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Happy, smart, loyal, entertaining
- Energy Level: Very Active; true terriers, Westies are quick, curious, and lively
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 11 inches (male). 10 inches, female
- Weight: 15-20 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 13-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The West Highland White Terrier, or Westie's, small size and irresistibly adorable appearance belie his tough, independent terrier personality. As a family pet, he's affectionate, playful, endlessly entertaining and a wonderful portable travel companion. Bred to hunt rats, he'll take off after prey, so he needs a fenced area to play and walks on a leash. Westie puppies need patient training, due to their independent nature. But they learn easily and are lovable, loyal additions to any family.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1908
Breed History & Job Description: The Westie is one of many terriers developed in the British Isles by farmers and country gentlemen to reduce the rodent population. The breed’s history goes back to the 1700s, when the Malcom clan began breeding the spunky white exterminators on their estate, called Poltalloch. (The breed was sometimes known as the Poltalloch Terrier.) The “West Highland” in the breed name refers to the northwest part of Scotland where Westies earned their fame.
West Highland White Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like cardiac disease and patellar luxation. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of West Highland White Terriers are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: West Highland White Terrier Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: Westietude53@gmail.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 540-554-2298 Karen Spalding
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.westieclubamerica.com/rescue/index.html