AKC PuppyFinder: Toy Fox Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Yes, and plenty of it!
- Energy Level: Very Active; Quick, alert, and athletic, TFTs like running and romping
- Good with Children: Better with Older Children
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 8.5-11.5 inches
- Weight: 3.5-7 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 13-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
View PhotoThe Toy Fox Terrier is a lot of terrier in a tiny toy body. The breed combines devotion and lovability with typical terrier tenacity. They're known for their fierce loyalty to their families as well as a playfulness and energy that makes them ideal family dogs, especially for families with older children. Your Toy Fox Terrier puppy is feisty and intelligent, and so adorable that he may get away with all sorts of mischief if not well-trained and socialized. He packs a lot of personality into that small frame, so teach him to be a great family member and you'll have a joyful pal for years to come.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 2003
Breed History & Job Description: In the early 20th century, American breeders of Smooth Fox Terriers created the TFT by crossing their litter runts with toy dogs, Chihuahuas and Italian Greyhounds among them. The result was a dog possessing the fire of a true terrier but with a beguiling toy-breed personality. They began as barnyard ratters but soon found their way to show business, where their cleverness, grace, and nifty looks served them well as circus trick dogs. Today they perform at championship levels in competitive agility.
Toy Fox Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like patellar luxation and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Toy Fox Terriers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Patella Evaluation
- PLL DNA Test
- Thyroid Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Toy Fox Terrier Rescue Program
- Breed Club Rescue Email: TFTrescue@yahoo.com Patricia Blair
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.atftc.com/rescue/rescue.htm