AKC PuppyFinder: Tibetan Spaniel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Self-confident, bright, loving, and playful
- Energy Level: Very Active; Tibbies, though not frantic little yappers, are frisky and curious
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 10 inches
- Weight: 9-15 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Quiet
- Breed Description
Prized since ancient times, the Tibetan Spaniel may be the best friend you've ever had. Irresistibly cute with soulful eyes, he's intelligent, playful and deeply attached to his owner. Tibetan Spaniel puppies are very trainable and respond well to gentle discipline. He needs moderate exercise and is adaptable to almost any living environment. With a big dog's confidence, born of his early days as a watchdog, and his devotion to his owner, he'll be a loving companion for life.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1984
Breed History & Job Description: A reverence for animals occupies a special place in Eastern belief and legend. In that spirit, Buddhist monks played a lead role in fostering and preserving Tibet’s native dog breeds. The monks kept Tibbies mainly as companions, but also as watchdogs who worked in tandem with their brawny cousin, the Tibetan Mastiff. Tibbies were farseeing sentinels who sat atop the monastery walls and scanned the horizon for friend or foe. And they no doubt made agreeable bed warmers on those subzero Himalayan nights.
Tibetan Spaniels are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like eye disease and patellar luxation. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Tibetan Spaniels are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Tibetan Spaniel Club of America-Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: -
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://wp.tsca.ws/index.php/rescuerehoming/