AKC PuppyFinder: Swedish Vallhund Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sociable, cheerful, alert, and blessed with classic herding-dog intelligenc
- Energy Level: Very Active; Energetic and eager, but they settle down nicely for cuddle time
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 12.5-13.75 inches (male), 11.5-12.75 inches (female)
- Weight: 20-35 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
If you are lucky enough to own this scarce breed, you'll enjoy an extremely sociable, intelligent and even-tempered companion. The Swedish Vallhund has been around since the Viking days and is prized for his herding instinct, handsome sturdy appearance and people-oriented eagerness to please. Your Swedish Vallhund puppy is easy to train and thrives on plenty of exercise, both physical and mental. This is also a talkative dog, so be prepared for lots of 'conversation.' An active owner who likes to involve his pet in most everything he does couldn't ask for a more fun-loving, alert and joyful companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2007
Breed History & Job Description: Between the 8th and 11th centuries, seaborn Vikings from Scandinavia raided, conquered, and settled vast areas of Britain. Traces of Viking influence can still be seen in the Scandinavian place names around the British Isles. Another reminder of Britain’s Viking past is the Vallhund, thought to be a cross of Scandinavian spitz dogs with Welsh corgis. Exactly when and where the breed was developed is unknown, but we do know that for centuries Vallhunds were rugged cattle dogs and all-purpose farmhands in western Sweden.
Swedish Vallhunds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Swedish Vallhunds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Swedish Vallhund Club of America-Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: (262) 443-0234 Pam Abrath
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.swedishvallhund.com/breed-information/rescue
Sorry, there are no Swedish Vallhund puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.