AKC PuppyFinder: Spinone Italiano Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sociable, docile, patient; occasionally stubborn but always a character
- Energy Level: Not Very Active; Walking, an occasional jog, and romping in the yard will satisfy these easygoing eccentrics
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 23-27 inches (male), 22-25 inches (female)
- Weight: 56 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
If you've ever had a roommate who's a little eccentric, messy and goofy, but an all-around great guy, you know what it's like to live with a Spinone Italiano. This rugged hunting breed is calm around the house, but loves an energetic romp. Spinoni Italiano puppies need early socialization and training. He can be stubborn and clever, pulling out all the stops to get his way. But he's soulful and affectionate with his family, other dogs and kids. With plenty of exercise and attention, he's an endearing companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2000
Breed History & Job Description: Spinoni, a very old breed, are among the many field dogs of Continental Europe famed for versatility. Their strengths as hunter’s companions include intelligence, a great nose, the ability to retrieve on land or lake, and the stamina to work all day and eagerly ask for more. The name Spinone refers to “pino,” the thorny undergrowth found in Italy’s Piedmont region. It was there that all-weather, all-purpose Spinoni were first bred to work alongside human huntsmen on the hilly terrain of Alpine Italy.
Spinone Italianos are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip and elbow dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Spinone Italianos are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Spinone Rescue of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: SpinoneRescue@gmail.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: -
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.spinoneclubofamerica.com/Rescue.aspx