AKC PuppyFinder: Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Happy, friendly, and deeply devoted; just stubborn enough to remind you they’re terriers
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Exuberant and fun-loving, but not as scrappy as the typical terrier
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Infrequent, Hypoallergenic
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 18-19 inches (male), 17-18 inches (female)
- Weight: 35-40 pounds (male), 30-35 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Under the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier's silky coat is a hardy all-purpose working dog. Bred as a farm dog, to hunt vermin and herd livestock, the breed is alert and confident, thriving on lots of daily exercise. Your Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier puppy will be happy wherever you live, city, country or in-between, and will be a great playmate for the kids.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1973
Breed History & Job Description: Among Ireland’s gifts to civilization are reams of great literature, a mighty smooth whiskey, and three magnificent long-legged terriers—the Wheaten, Kerry Blue, and Irish. All share a common ancestry and were bred for similar purposes. As versatile farm dogs, Wheatens were expected to do any number of rustic chores, like ratting, guarding the chicken coop, and even herding or bird-dogging. When day was done they were engaging fireside companions, a role they still relish—even if the hearth has been replaced by a TV.
Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Blood Chemistry Panel
- UPC/Micro Albumin (MA) Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club: Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Club of America
- Breed Club Link: http://www.scwtca.org/
- Breed Standard: View
- Group: Terrier
- 2016 Popularity: 50
The AKC recognizes the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Club of America as the official Parent Club for the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier breed. You can get more information on Wheaten health and testing protocols and the breed's standard, history and temperament by visiting www.scwtca.org.
The AKC believes that puppy buyers should educate themselves about a breed to ensure that it is the right fit for their lifestyle. This research should enable them to asked key questions of breeders when discussing purchasing a puppy.
- Breed Club Rescue: Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Club of America-Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 505-433-5009
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.scwtca.org/rescue/index.htm