AKC PuppyFinder: Sealyham Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Alert and outgoing; stubbornness is tempered by a sly sense of humor
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Brave and spirited, but not as spiky as smaller terriers
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 10.5 inches
- Weight: 23-24 pounds (male), slightly less (females)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
As small as he is, the Sealyham Terrier is a strong, substantial dog, with an outgoing, charming personality. He makes an excellent companion, if you remember that he's first and foremost, all terrier. He may have a stubborn streak, tempered with a sense of humor that can't help but amuse. Your Sealyham Terrier puppy is trainable and friendly. He needs exercise, both physical and mental and lots of time with his family. The breed excels at dog sports, like agility, earthdog and rally.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1911
Breed History & Job Description: In the mid-1800s, army captain John Edwardes retired at age 40 to his Sealy Ham estate in Wales and spent the rest of his life developing his dream dog. He crossed several breeds to create a terrier strong and game enough to tangle with dangerous prey like badgers and otters. The years between the world wars were the breed’s American heyday. Sealys won Westminster three times in this era, and their popularity was boosted by celebrity owners like Humphrey Bogart, Gary Cooper, and Cary Grant.
Sealyham Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Sealyham Terriers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- PLL DNA Test
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no Sealyham Terrier puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.