AKC PuppyFinder: Samoyed Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Gentle, adaptable, eager, friendly; conservative but never shy
- Energy Level: Very Active; Sammies are energetic, curious, and independent; fenced-in exercise room is a must
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 21-23.5 inches (male), 19-21 inches (female)
- Weight: 45-65 pounds (male), 35-50 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Samoyed puppies, with their fluffy coats and bright eyes, resemble playful little bears, making them irresistibly adorable. As he grows, the Samoyed develops the breed's signature smile, with black lips that curl up at the corners. He's a working dog, happiest when he has an activity or job to do. He excels at sledding, agility training, herding and any activity that channels his energy and intelligence. He's a gentle and loyal family member who thrives on exercise for both body and mind.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1906
Breed History & Job Description: The name Samoyed comes from the Samoyede, a semi-nomadic people from Asia who migrated to Siberia a thousand years ago. The Samoyede depended on reindeer as a vital source of food, fur, and leather. At first, they used their dogs as reindeer hunters. But in time the Samoyede shifted from hunting to herding, and they trained their glistening white dogs to herd and protect reindeer. Sammies burnished their reputation for versatility and ruggedness by sledging heavy loads across Siberia’s vast, snowy expanses
Samoyeds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia, PRA, RD/OSD, cardiac and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Samoyeds are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Hip Evaluation
- PRA Optigen DNA Test
- Cardiac Exam
- RD/OSD DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Samoyed Rescue Groups
- Breed Club Rescue Email: FLRescueSams@aol.com, Laura Segers-Florida
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.samoyedclubofamerica.org/the-samoyed/choosing-a-dog/rescue-groups/
Click here to see all Samoyed Rescue Groups.