AKC PuppyFinder: Redbone Coonhound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Even-tempered, amiable, and kindly at home, but a tiger on the trail
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Vigorous activity like hunting and swimming between long periods of rest is the rhythm of coonhound life
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 22-27 inches (male), 21-26 inches (female)
- Weight: 45-70 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
The handsome, powerfully built Redbone Coonhound is a hunter's best partner and a family's best friend. As great as he is at trailing and treeing game, at home he's even-tempered, very loving and loyal. In the field, the breed is prized for versatility, agility, speed and tracking ability. Their soulfulness and eagerness to please also make them great therapy dogs. Your Redbone Coonhound puppy will want to make you happy and is agreeable to training. Come prepared to be gentle, with patience and a sense of humor. You'll be rewarded with a best friend for life.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 2009
Breed History & Job Description: Redbones are one of six hounds developed by American settlers to provide a steady source of raccoon meat and fur during the new nation’s expansion to the south and west. Coonhounds are often portrayed in pop culture as lazy ol’ dawgs snoozing away their lives on the front porch. But anyone who’s been on a “nite hunt” in pursuit of the wily, nocturnal raccoon will tell you that Redbones and their cooner cousins are among dogdom’s most tireless and tenacious pursuers.
Redbone Coonhounds are generally a very healthy and very hardy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Redbone Coonhounds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Thyroid Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Breed Club
- Breed Club: Redbone Coonhound Association of America
- Breed Club Link: http://www.nationalredbonecoonhoundassociation.org/
- Breed Standard: View
- Group: Hound
- 2016 Popularity: 143
Click here to see all Redbone Coonhound Rescue Groups.