AKC PuppyFinder: Portuguese Water Dog Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: The PWD is an “A” student: Affectionate, athletic, and adventurous
- Energy Level: Very Active; On land or in the water, the spirited PWD will always keep up
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal, Hypoallergenic
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 20-23 inches (male), 17-21 inches (female)
- Weight: 42-60 pounds (male), 35-50 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 11-13 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
If you have any doubt this dog is meant for water, check out his webbed feet! The Portuguese Water Dog is a spirited worker who loves to learn and is ready for any activity you have in mind. He's affectionate with his family, including other dogs and children, and will greet you with tail-wagging enthusiasm. Your Portuguese Water Dog puppy takes well to training and thrives on time with his family. Give him vigorous daily exercise and stimulation and you'll be rewarded with a loving, joyful canine friend.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1983
Breed History & Job Description: The Portuguese Water Dog once lived all along Portugal’s coast, and was used to herd fish into nets, retrieve lost tackle, and act as a messenger between ships and shore. Fishermen counted on the strong and muscular dogs to be hardworking and seaworthy. They would ride in trawlers from the warm Atlantic waters of Portugal to the freezing cold waters off the coast of Iceland. Technology eventually laid him off from his job, but Porties are still used for water rescue.
Portuguese Water Dogs are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Portuguese Water Dogs are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Hip Evaluation
- PRA Optigen DNA Test
- GM-1 DNA Test
- JDCM DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: PWDCA Rescue & Relocation Program
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 678-386-7227 Bonnie Bryan
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.pwdca.org/pwd-rescue-and-relocation