AKC PuppyFinder: Polish Lowland Sheepdog Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Lively, clever, confident; very loyal, but an independent worker
- Energy Level: Very Active; Born workers, PONs thrive on exercise and activity
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Non-shedding
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 18-20 inches (male), 17-19 inches (female)
- Weight: 30-50 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The Polish Lowland Sheepdog, also known in the U.S as the PON for the initials of his Polish name, is a member of the herding group. He can work independently, with confidence and high spirits. This shaggy dog is adaptable to almost any lifestyle, with his eagerness to please and affectionate nature. But start training your Polish Lowland Sheepdog puppy early: he can be stubborn and clever, trying to outsmart you. If you're up to the challenge, you'll be rewarded with a lively, loving companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2001
Breed History & Job Description: In the waning days of the Roman Empire, the Huns were among the tribes of Asian invaders who spilled into central Europe. It’s believed that PONs are the result of breeding Hunnic dogs with native stock in the region now known as Poland. PONs were bred to be levelheaded flock dogs by day and fearless guard dogs by night. In the 1500s, traders brought PONs to Scotland, where it’s thought they became a piece of the genetic puzzle that formed the Bearded Collie.
Polish Lowland Sheepdogs are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dyspepsia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Polish Lowland Sheepdogs are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no Polish Lowland Sheepdog puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.