AKC PuppyFinder: Plott Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sweetly gentle with people, but fearless, implacable, and bold at work
- Energy Level: Very Active; Plotts are tough, relentless athletes requiring lots of exercise and outdoors time
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 20-25 inches (male), 20-23 inches (female)
- Weight: 50-60 pounds (male), 40-55 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
This American hound is a fearless hunter, baying or treeing big game like bears. Powerful and determined in the field, the Plott can be loyal and gentle with an experienced owner. But a bored Plott can be a handful; athletic and aggressive when hunting, he needs daily exercise and stimulation. Your Plott puppy is smart and willing to learn. Training is important to manage his powerful hunting instincts. With the right family, he's sweet and eager to please at home and a courageous partner in the field.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 2006
Breed History & Job Description: Unique among the six AKC coonhound breeds, Plotts are descended not from English Foxhounds but from German “Hanover hounds.” In 1750, a German immigrant named Johannes Plott arrived in North Carolina. Accompanying him were five Hanover hounds he brought from the old country. Plott settled in the mountains, where he raised a family and hunted bears with his hounds. His son, Henry, bred the family pack to local stock and produced a big-game hunter known as Plott’s hound, then the Plott Hound, and finally the Plott.
Plotts are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Plotts are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club
Click here to see all Plott Rescue Groups.