AKC PuppyFinder: Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Alert, vivacious, and happy-happy-happy!
- Energy Level: Very Active; A playful breed, with the stamina of a born hunter, PBGVs need exercise and fenced sniffing-around room
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Height: 13-15 inches
- Weight: 25-40 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 14-16 years
- Breed Description
As small as he is, this robust hound is full of energy and joie de vivre. The Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen is confident, playful and a dynamo of activity. Most of all he's one of the happiest of dogs and his vivaciousness is almost irresistible. Your Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen puppy is independent, inventive and smart. He does best with an experienced owner who can give him positive, consistent training and daily exercise. You'll be rewarded with a zesty, lively and adorable companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1990
Breed History & Job Description: The terrain of the Vendée ain’t for sissy dogs. It takes a tough, tenacious, headstrong hound to earn a living as a hunter amid the rocks and dense underbrush of coastal France. The PBGV’s rough coat was purpose-bred to protect him from this harsh environment. Even the rakish eyebrows, beard, and mustache that give the breed a large measure of its Old World charm aren’t strictly for cuteness: They protect sensitive areas of the face from thorns and thicket.
Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease, but the majority of the PBGVs are healthy dogs. Also, Hypothyroidism, glaucoma, retinal folds, persistent pupiliary membranes, hip dysplasia, epilepsy, and patellar luxation have been reported but are not common. Be sure to talk to your dog’s breeder about all possible health risks and maintain a close relationship throughout the dog’s life so the breeder can share his or her wealth of experience as your PBGV matures.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- POAG DNA Testing
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: Pam Helmer
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.pbgv.org/BreedInfo/rescue.shtml