AKC PuppyFinder: Peruvian Inca Orchid Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sweet, gentle, sensitive; aloof with strangers
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; calm and regal, PIOs do enjoy sprinting at high speed
- Shedding: Hypoallergenic
- Height: 9.75-15.75 inches (small), 15.75-19.75 inches (medium) 19.75-25.75 inches (large)
- Weight: 8.5-17.5 pounds (small), 17.5-26.5 pounds (medium), 26.5-55 pounds (large)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- History & Job
Breed History & Job Description: The breed’s history goes back so far, we can’t say for sure how it came to Peru. Some historians say the PIO’s ancient ancestors came from Africa; others say China. Breed history comes into sharper focus with the rise of the Incas in the 1400s. The nobles of this advanced but short-lived civilization prized and pampered their hairless companions in the same way English aristocrats did their toy spaniels and the French their Papillons. When the Inca empire collapsed, PIOs—a rare breed to begin with—nearly went extinct.
Peruvian Inca Orchids are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Peruvian Inca Orchids are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no Peruvian Inca Orchid puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.