AKC PuppyFinder: Norwegian Lundehund Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Loving and loyal, also brave, tenacious, and a bit stubborn
- Energy Level: Very Active; Agile, energetic, and dogdom's champion climber—the perfect hiker’s companion
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 13-15 inches (male), 12-14 inches (female)
- Weight: 20-30 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
This rare breed isn't hunting puffins anymore, but their unique features speak to their past: they can tip their head back until it touches the backbone, they have six toes and their ears can fold backward, forward or closed. The Norwegian Lundehund is an energetic and playful breed. He's protective of his family and may be wary of strangers. Norwegian Lundehund puppies need sensitive training and socialization and can sometimes be a challenge. But once you establish trust, you'll have delightfully friendly, clever and fun-loving companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2011
Breed History & Job Description: For centuries Lundehunds were bred on Vaeroy, a remote and rocky island off the Norwegian coast. Puffins nest in crevices in the island’s cliff walls. Islanders depended on pickled puffin meat to sustain them through long Arctic winters, and the strong, flexible Lundehund was the only way to reach them. These compact puffin dogs would climb the sheer rock walls, worm their way into tiny passages, and snatch the birds. Then they’d skid down the cliffs, with the squawking, flapping prize in their mouth.
Norwegian Lundehunds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like eye disease, patellar luxation and protein-losing enteropathy. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Norwegian Lundehunds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Norwegian Lundehund Association of America-Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://nlaainc.com/links/rescue/
Sorry, there are no Norwegian Lundehund puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.