AKC PuppyFinder: Norwegian Elkhound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Confident, dependable; dignified but friendly
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Elkhounds are robust, athletic dogs who thrive on exercise
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 20.5 inches (male), 19.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 55 pounds (male), 48 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
This ancient breed was a companion to Vikings, a herder, guardian and friend to man. The Norwegian Elkhound still has these traits and makes an excellent watchdog and hunting dog as well as family member. That strong hardy appearance hides a sensitive, friendly soul who wants to be with his human family. Your Norwegian Elkhound puppy will thrive with lots of exercise to satisfy his rugged stamina and love of the chase. Most of all, he'll be devoted to you and an affectionate member of your family.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1913
Breed History & Job Description: The Elkhound is among the oldest breeds. In fact, they go back several thousand years—maybe as far as 5000 b.c.! It’s said the Elkhound was a companion of the Vikings, fierce warriors from the north who invaded Europe in the Middle Ages. But the Elkhound’s main job in his native land was to be a courageous hunter of large animals: moose, wolves, and even bear. Elkhounds were also used as sled dogs to haul supplies over frozen terrain.
Norwegian Elkhounds are generally a healthy breed. Elkhounds are basically healthy when owners provide good nutrition and exercise. The incidence of genetic health problems in Elkhounds is relatively low.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Norwegian Elkhound Association of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: Margaret Williamson
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.neaa.net/norwegian-elkhound-rescue.html