AKC PuppyFinder: Norwegian Buhund Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Smart, perceptive, confident, and a total sweetheart
- Energy Level: Very Active; Buhunds are lively, agile dogs who like to keep busy
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 17-18.5 inches (male), 16-17.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 31-40 pounds (male), 26-35 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
The Norwegian Buhund is a natural herder and guardian. He's a wonderful family companion, especially affectionate with children. Smart and energetic, he's as happy to join you in vigorous outdoor activities as he is to snooze with you at day's end. Your Norwegian Buhund puppy is very trainable; start early with obedience training. The breed is so perceptive and versatile they've been used as service dogs for the hearing impaired. They're delightful pets for people who prize their energy, smarts and affectionate nature.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2009
Breed History & Job Description: There’s truth to the romantic tales of Buhunds who sailed with those Nordic invaders, the Vikings, whose lightning raids terrorized Europe some 1,200 years ago. And though Buhunds might’ve enjoyed looting and pillaging their way across the continent alongside Vikings (Buhunds enjoy any activity they can do with their owners!), they are, at heart, homebodies. In fact, their name derives from the Norwegian word “bu,” meaning “homestead” or “farm.” For centuries Buhunds served as herders, guardians of flock and family, and all-purpose farmhands.
Norwegian Buhunds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Norwegian Buhunds are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Von Willebrand's Disease DNA Test
- ENM DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Norweigan Buhund Club of America-Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: -
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.buhund.org/