AKC PuppyFinder: Nederlandse Kooikerhondje Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Friendly and even tempered; quick and alert, but not noisy
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; upbeat and athletic, Kooikers need regular exercise and challenges to avoid problem behaviors
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 15-17 inches (male), 14-16 inches (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- History & Job
Breed History & Job Description: The Kooikerhondje is a duck toller, a type of bird dog that lures waterfowl into gun range by frolicking at the lake shore. The quick movements and wagging plumed tail has a mesmerizing effect on ducks, and they swim in closer to get a better look. He shares this peculiar avocation with a Canadian cousin, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. The Kooiker is a fixture of Dutch culture; the breed’s ancestors can be glimpsed in paintings by Vermeer, Steen, and other Dutch masters. By the 1940s they were nearly extinct, but through the efforts of an influential patroness, Baroness Van Hardenbroek van Ammerstol, the Kooiker made a comeback.
Kooikerhondjes are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Nederlandse Kooikerhondjes are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Von Willebrand's Disease DNA Test
- ENM DNA Test
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no Nederlandse Kooikerhondje puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.