AKC PuppyFinder: Lagotto Romagnolo Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Easygoing, affectionate, and eager to please
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; curious and upbeat, but not hyper
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Infrequent, Hypoallergenic
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 17-19 inches (male), 16-18 inches (female)
- Weight: 28.5-35 pounds (male), 24-31 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 15-17 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
This ancient Italian breed may be the original water dog and is the only breed recognized as a specialized truffle finder. If you're not planning to search for truffles, the Lagotto Romagnolo can be an intelligent, affectionate companion. He doesn't ask for much, but does need lots of exercise, like a game of fetch or a swim. Your Lagotto Romagnolo puppy should be socialized early as he can be reserved with strangers. He's adaptable and rugged--a great match for an active family.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2015
Breed History & Job Description: Lagotti go back to at least Renaissance Italy, where they were bred as waterfowl retrievers working the marshlands of Ravenna. (“Lago” is Italian for “lake.”) For many years, though, Lagotti, blessed with an exceptional nose, have been used in the Italian countryside to sniff out truffles, a tasty and expensive delicacy. Though many breeds can be trained on truffles, the Lagatto is generally considered the world’s finest truffle dog.
Lagotto Romagnolos are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Lagotto Romagnolos are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Benign Familial Juvenile Epilepsy DNA Test
- Lagotto Storage Disease DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Lagotto Romagnolo Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.lagottous.com/page-18165