AKC PuppyFinder: Labrador Retriever Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Friendly and outgoing, Labs play well with others
- Energy Level: Very Active; Labs are high-spirited and not afraid to show it
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 22.5-24.5 inches (male), 21.5-23.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 65-80 pounds (male), 55-70 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
A Labrador Retriever puppy makes a lively and lovable addition to the family. The high-spirited and active pup has a big, generous heart and a desire to please, which makes him a trainable and willing companion. He'll be thrilled to join in family activities, especially if that includes lots of active play time, from swimming, hunting or fishing to a rousing game of catch in the backyard. A gentle temperament combined with friendliness and intelligence make Labs the most popular breed in the country.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1917
Breed History & Job Description: Labs are popular pets in the United States, but they actually hail from a little farther north: Canada. In the early 19th century, an Englishman, Lord Malmsbury, was so impressed with their keen retrieving instinct, that he purchased several Labradors while in Canada to import to Britain. Labs historically worked beside fishermen and hunters, helping them catch fish and retrieve game. Today, Labradors use this same sharp instinct as hunting companions and active members of their families.
Labrador Retrievers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip and elbow dysplasia, eye disease, and exercise induced collapse. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Labrador Retrievers are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- EIC DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Labrador Retriever Club, Inc. Rescue Program
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/searchrescue.php