AKC PuppyFinder: Kerry Blue Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Smart and alert; people oriented, with a dash of Irish humor in his heart
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Lively, vivacious, and up for anything, Kerries need room to romp and explore
- Good with Children: Better with Older Children
- Good with other Dogs: Not Recommended
- Shedding: Infrequent, Hypoallergenic
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 18-19.5 inches (male), 17.5-19 inches (female)
- Weight: 33-40 pounds (male), females weigh slightly less than males
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The Kerry Blue Terrier is truly an all-purpose dog. Bred to hunt and retrieve, his athleticism, agility and smarts stand out in the show ring and in dog sports like agility, and obedience. As a family companion, his joyousness and people-oriented personality make him a great family playmate. He's also protective of his family, prey-driven and active, so start training your Kerry Blue Terrier puppy early. With lots of exercise and firm, patient training, he'll be an avid companion in family activities.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1922
Breed History & Job Description: The Kerry is named for its home county. The mystery of its beginnings gave rise to charming blarney about leprechauns, shipwrecks, and other fanciful origin tales. We do know that Kerries were hardworking all-around farm dogs, cherished for their versatility. The breed was a mascot for patriots in the struggle for Irish independence, and since the early 20th century they’ve been top winners in the show ring. A Kerry named Mick was among the great show dogs of the 2000s.
Kerry Blue Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Kerry Blue Terriers are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: United States Kerry Blue Terrier Club Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: -
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.uskbtc.com/kerries-available/rescue-kerries/about-uskbtc-rescue/