AKC PuppyFinder: Irish Wolfhound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Calm, dignified, kindly; courageous but not aggressive
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Mellow and docile, IWs are still athletic coursing hounds who enjoy a good gallop
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 32 inches minimum (male), 30 inches minimum (female)
- Weight: 120 pounds (male), 105 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 6-8 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Consider the size of your house, car and yard if you're planning to add an Irish Wolfhound to the family. The tallest of breeds, he's a muscular, graceful dog, weighing up to 120 pounds. The breed dates back centuries in Ireland, where they were big-game and wolf hunters as well as mellow, calm family companions. Your Irish Wolfhound puppy will grow up (and up and up) to be a great family dog, good with kids and gentle around the house. With his athleticism, he'll thrive on the time and space for exercise and a full-out gallop.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1897
Breed History & Job Description: The Wolfhound’s long history is entangled in myth and legend, but we can reliably say that they were created by breeding Middle Eastern hounds to large dogs of Britain. We pick up reliable accounts of these ancient giants at about the 15th century, when wolves were overrunning the Irish countryside. IWs, already renowned big-game hunters, began to specialize on wolves. By the late 1700s, when the wolves of Ireland were hunted to extinction, IWs lost their job and nearly went extinct themselves.
Irish Wolfhounds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip and elbow dysplasia, eye disease and cardiac disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Irish Wolfhounds are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Irish Wolfhound Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 609-268-9373 Jean Minnier
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.iwclubofamerica.org/rescue