AKC PuppyFinder: Icelandic Sheepdog Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Confident, cheerful, sociable; the expression “man’s best friend” was coined for dogs like this
- Energy Level: Very Active; A true herding dog: lively, inquisitive, and athletic
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 18 inches (male), 16.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 30 pounds (male), 25 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
The Icelandic Sheepdog is a natural extrovert and probably never met a human he didn't like. Standing only 18 inches tall, with an alert, happy expression, he's endearing and sociable. Your Icelandic Sheepdog puppy is smart, eager to please and easily trainable. In fact, the breed is often used as therapy dogs and, with their athleticism, they excel at many dog sports. They're rare outside of Iceland, but if you can find one, he'll be the best friend your family ever had.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2010
Breed History & Job Description: About 1,100 years ago, Norse settlers sailed west across the Norwegian Sea to Iceland. These seafaring pioneers set about creating a new Scandinavian country on the otherwise uninhabited island. Among the cultural touchstones they brought from Norway were the Nordic language and a taste for epic literature. Another was the spitz-type dogs the Icelanders used for herding sheep and rounding up ponies, forerunners of the modern Icelandic Sheepdog. Today, Iceland is still distinctly Scandinavian and the Icelandic Sheepdog is a beloved national symbol.
Icelandic Sheepdogs are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip and elbow dysplasia and patellar luxation. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Icelandic Sheepdogs are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: National Icelandic Sheepdog Rescue Alliance
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.nationalicelandicsheepdogrescuealliance.org/index.htm