AKC PuppyFinder: Ibizan Hound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Even-tempered and polite; a bit aloof, but a sweet-natured, family-oriented housemate
- Energy Level: Very Active; World-class sprinters and leapers, Beezers need ample, secure space to air out their engines
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Infrequent
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 23.5-27.5 inches (male), 22.5-26 inches (female)
- Weight: 50 pounds (male), 45 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 11-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
This ancient breed combines lithe elegance with a sweet nature. The Ibizan Hound is known for athleticism and can easily jump a five-foot fence to chase after prey. Outdoors, he has deer-like grace and a hound's hunting instinct. At home, he may be the most beautiful dog to ever grace your couch. Your Ibizan Hound puppy takes well to training and gets along well with other pets. Give him plenty of exercise and you'll be rewarded with a graceful, gentle family pet.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1978
Breed History & Job Description: Ibiza is one of the Balearic Islands, off Spain’s Mediterranean coast. About 3,000 years ago, Phoenician traders first brought Egyptian hounds to the rocky island. Islanders used packs of these hounds as rabbit hunters. Food was scarce on rugged Ibiza. For hounds and hunter, chasing rabbits wasn’t sport—it was more likely a matter of eating or going hungry. These many centuries later, Ibizans are still tenacious coursers blessed with blazing speed.
Ibizan Hounds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia, eye disease, autoimmune thyroiditis and congenital deafness. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Ibizan Hounds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- BAER Testing
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Thyroid Evaluation
- Breed Club
Sorry, there are no Ibizan Hound puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.