AKC PuppyFinder: Golden Retriever Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Intelligent, friendly, and devoted.
- Energy Level: Very Active; This dog is active and energetic, and needs daily exercise.
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 23-24 inches (male), 21.5-22.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 65-75 pounds (male), 55-65 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Give your Golden Retriever puppy plenty of mental and physical activity and he'll grow up to be the best friend you ever had. This intelligent breed is beloved for their devotion, working ability and playfulness. The Golden's temperament makes him a great guide dog, search-and-rescue assistant and hunting companion. With lots of exercise and a good brushing a few times a week, your Golden Retriever will be a handsome, loving and joyful addition to the family.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1925
Breed History & Job Description: Golden Retrievers were developed in the Scottish Highlands over 100 years ago by a man whose name was Lord Tweedmouth (seriously). Lord Tweedmouth wanted to create a breed that was perfect for the rainy climate and rugged terrain of the area, so he crossed his “Yellow Retriever” with a breed that is now extinct, the Tweed Water Spaniel. Irish Setter and Bloodhound were also added to the mix. Though they were bred for hunting, they can happily adapt to many different living situations.
Golden Retrievers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip and elbow dysplasia, eye disease and cardiac disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Golden Retrievers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Golden Retriever Club of America National Rescue Committee
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: Robin Sweeney
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.grca-nrc.org/