AKC PuppyFinder: Finnish Lapphund Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Reserved with strangers, but usually calm and friendly; submissive at home, courageous at work
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Alert and energetic, but not hyper; easily trained and eager to work
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Height: 18-21 inches (male), 16-19 inches (female)
- Weight: 33-53 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Breed Description
Even if you don't have reindeer to herd, the Finnish Lapphund is happy to do any kind of activity, including agility, tracking, obedience and especially the chance to run full-speed. Powerful and agile in the field, the breed is submissive to humans and sociable at home. Your Finnish Lapphund puppy will grow quickly to be surprisingly strong and robust. He needs early training and socialization to be a good canine citizen. With daily exercise and lots of human companionship, he's a sweet, loyal and people-oriented companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2011
Breed History & Job Description: Lapphunds were created in ancient times by the semi-nomadic Sami people of Lapland, in the far north of Scandinavia. At first, they were used for hunting reindeer. When the Sami began to settle, their dogs switched from hunting to herding reindeer. Unlike the adorable cartoon characters who pull Santa’s sleigh every December, actual reindeer are stubborn, cantankerous beasts whose antlers can do serious damage. It took dogs of great courage, quickness, and intelligence to control them, and modern-day Lappies retain these qualities.
Finnish Lapphunds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Finnish Lapphunds are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- PRA Optigen DNA Test
- Pompe's Disease DNA Test
- Degenerative Myelopathy DNA Test
- Breed Club