AKC PuppyFinder: Field Spaniel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Sweet, sensitive, fun-loving, and smart; a real people-pleaser
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Tranquil around the house but vigorous and game for anything when at play
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 18 inches (male), 17 inches (female)
- Weight: 35-50 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-13 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
With his long silky ears and soulful eyes, the Field Spaniel is hard to resist, especially combined with his docile temperament. This sporting dog moves with effortless grace and loves nothing more than to join in on family activities, including playtime and a good romp. He tends to stick close to his family, but has just enough of an independent streak to keep things interesting. As sensitive as he is, your Field Spaniel puppy responds best to positive training. He's a real people-pleaser and a fun-loving companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1894
Breed History & Job Description: The Field Spaniel’s rise and fall and rise-again is a cautionary tale in three acts. Act I: In the early 1800s, Field Spaniels are able, dependable hunting dogs. Act II: With the advent of dog shows after mid-century, breeders produce a showy Field Spaniel, exaggerating its long, low shape to extremes and negating its worth as a gundog. Act III: In the late 1960s, enthusiasts revive the breed by getting back to basics and rebuilding the dog along its original working lines.
Field Spaniels are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia, eye disorders, and autoimmune disorders such as hypothyroidism, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and skin allergies. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Field Spaniels are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologic Exam
- Hip Evaluation
- Autoimmune Thyroiditis
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: USA National Field Spaniel Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: FSSArescue@gmail.com
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://fieldspanielsocietyofamerica.org/rescue-questionnaire-2/