AKC PuppyFinder: English Toy Spaniel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: A true spaniel—affectionate, alert, and merry
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Cavorting and curious at play; well-behaved and dignified at home
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 9-10 inches
- Weight: 8-14 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Quiet
- Breed Description
The English Toy Spaniel is irresistible, with his domed head, long ears, soulful eyes and silky coat. Long a companion of royalty, he may have some of the haughty temperament you'd expect from a little aristocrat. But at heart, he's merry, gentle, loving and a playful companion. Your English Toy Spaniel puppy can be willful and stubborn during training. But your patience will pay off and you'll be rewarded with an intelligent, eager to please and affectionate companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1886
Breed History & Job Description: Toy spaniels are famously associated with Britain’s Charles I and II, the “Merry Monarchs” of the 1600s, whose sporty little dogs became symbols of the House of Stuart. Later, in Victorian times, the toy-spaniel types of the Stuarts were refined to produce a distinctly different breed, smaller and flatter-faced. In America the new breed became known as the English Toy Spaniel, and the original type was called the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. In England, the English Toy Spaniel is called the King Charles Spaniel. Got that?
English Toy Spaniels are generally a healthy breed. :ike all breeds there may be some health issues, like eye and cardiac disease and patellar luxation. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of English Toy Spaniels are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Cardiac Exam
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: English Toy Spaniel Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 609-397-3148
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://englishtoyspanielclubofamerica.org/rescue/