AKC PuppyFinder: English Cocker Spaniel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Merry and responsive, alive with energy
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Upbeat outdoors, mellow indoors, ECs are happy to flush a bird or snooze at your feet
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 16-17 inches (male), 15-16 inches (female)
- Weight: 28-34 pounds (male), 26-32 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The English Cocker Spaniel will first melt your heart with his soft, doe-eyed expression and then perform like an Olympian in the field. This energetic breed is happy and responsive, a willing companion in dog sports, daily walks or a good game of fetch. At day's end, he's ready to snuggle up with you, just hanging out. Your English Cocker Spaniel puppy is very trainable and responds best to positive, gentle training. Treat him well and you'll have an enthusiastic, even-tempered and affectionate buddy for life.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1946
Breed History & Job Description: The history of the English Cocker resembles that of lots of other breeds—what starts out as one breed is divided and reclassified into offshoots, to refine their function and look. In the late 1800s spaniels were separated into springers and cockers, with cockers being smaller and bred to hunt woodcock. In 1935, there was yet another split, and the English Cocker received his own designation from the AKC. Which is as it should be, since the EC is a true original.
English Cocker Spaniels are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia, patellar luxation and progressive retinal atrophy (PRA). Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of English Cocker Spaniels are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- PRA Optigen DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: English Cocker Spaniel Club of America, Inc.