AKC PuppyFinder: Dachshund Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Go look up the word “spunky.” We’ll wait. Did you see a photo of a Dachsie? We thought so.
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; A moderately active dog, but his intelligence means he gets bored easily, so it’s good to keep him busy
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 8-9 inches (standard), 5-6 inches (miniature)
- Weight: 16-32 pounds (standard), 11 pounds & under (miniature)
- Life Expectancy: 12-16 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
There's never a case of mistaken identity with a Dachshund. That long, low body, short legs and alert expression are unique to the breed. Your Dachshund puppy has hunting in his genes: he's lively, spunky and determined. His intelligence and and friendliness make him a great companion who's always ready for fun. Although you may be initially attracted by his looks, the Dachshund will win your heart with his playfulness and upbeat personality.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1885
Breed History & Job Description: The Dachsie’s personality is the result of his original job: “Dachshund” means “badger dog” in German, and he was bred to enthusiastically dig his way into a badger’s den to hunt them. His long and low body made this job easier for him than for other dogs. Badger dogs go all the way back to the 1400s, and the Dachsie, as a specific breed, has been around since the 1600s.
Like all breeds there may be some health issues. An overweight Dachshund is prone to many of the same problems experienced by overweight humans, such as diabetes, joint problems, decreased stamina and possibly, problems with the back. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Dachshunds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Dachshund Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Helen Hamilton)
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: (908) 782 – 4724
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.dachshundclubofamerica.org/rescue/