AKC PuppyFinder: Coton de Tulear Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Bright, happy-go-lucky, endlessly charming; born to love and to be loved
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Favorite sports include clowning, cavorting, and following an adored human around the house
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal, Hypoallergenic
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 10-11 inches (male), 9-10 inches (female)
- Weight: 9-15 pounds (male), 8-13 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 15-19 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The Coton de Tulear is as prized for his happy and entertaining personality as he is for his gorgeous long coat. This small but sturdy breed is agile and trainable, excelling at dog sports and as therapy dogs. Most of all, your Coton de Tulear puppy wants to be with you. And, with proper socialization, he'll get along with almost anyone, including kids, other dogs and cats. That long showy coat is hypoallergenic, good news for allergy sufferers. Take time for some daily grooming to keep your dog looking his best.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2014
Breed History & Job Description: Cotons were once the preferred pet of tribal nobles on Madagascar, the world’s fourth largest island. Though Madagascar lies some 250 miles off the southeastern coast of Africa, the population is primarily related not to African peoples but rather to those of Indonesia. Because of a bond with France that resulted from former colonial rule, the island developed strong links with the French-speaking nations of western Africa. French is still widely spoken by Malagasy elites, hence their little white dog’s French accent.
Coton de Tulears are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia, patellar luxation and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Coton de Tulears are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Patella Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Hip Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: United States of America Coton De Tulear Club
- Breed Club Rescue Email: Diane Rinella, email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 949-874-7055
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.usactc.org/breed-information/rescue/