AKC PuppyFinder: Chihuahua Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Graceful, charming, and sassy
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Though they love to scamper around a bit, Chihuahuas don’t need much exercise
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 5-8 inches
- Weight: not exceeding 6 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 14-16 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Your tiny Chihuahua puppy will grow up to be 5-6 pounds of sassy, outsize personality. Chihuahuas are primarily indoor dogs, well-suited to small living spaces. There's an alert intelligence behind those shining eyes and your Chihuahua is a quick and enthusiastic learner. He could happily spend hours on your lap or snuggled under the blankets, where it's warm and cozy. He's a delicate little guy who will return kindness and care with love and loyalty.
- History & Job
Origin: Mexican State of Chihuahua
Year Recognized: 1904
Breed History & Job Description: The origin of the Chihuahua is somewhat of a mystery (complete with mummies). Some people think he might have come from the Fennec Fox, which is small and has big eyes and ears—just like the Chichi. It’s most likely related to the beloved dogs of Central American Indians, the Techichis, and the Mexican hairless dog. Chihuahuas have been loved throughout the ages—they appear in ancient stone carvings and mummies of them have been found buried with their masters. It just goes to show that nobody wants to go anywhere without their cherished Chichi!
Chihuahuas are generally a healthy breed. But like all breeds there may be some health issues, like patellar luxation, cardiac and eye disease.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Cardiac Exam
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: The Chihuahua Club of America, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com (Lynnie Bunten)
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 210-889-0780
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.org/breed-rescue/