AKC PuppyFinder: Cesky Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Feisty and tenacious at work, but a bit more laid back and trainable than the usual terrier
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Playful, curious dogs who enjoy a good old-fashioned romp
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 10-13 inches
- Weight: 14-24 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Cesky Terriers have all the determination and grit of the Terrier group while being a bit more trainable and mellower than other terriers. Muscular and tenacious, they love to dig and need daily exercise, although they're small enough for almost any living environment. Your Cesky Terrier puppy does best with early socialization; he's protective of his family and can be reserved with strangers. When well-socialized, he's an adventurous, fun-loving playmate, family-oriented and eager to please.
- History & Job
Origin: Czech Republic
Year Recognized: 2011
Breed History & Job Description: Ceskys are a breed—like the Plott and the Boykin Spaniel—born of the vision of one person. In this case, it was the mid–20th century Czech breeder, sportsman, and geneticist Frantisek Horak. His ideal was a breed that could rat like a true terrier, but could work in packs like hounds and be as gentle and obedient at home as retrievers. Through judicious crosses of Scottish and Sealyham terriers over many years, Horak created the dog of his dreams.
Cesky Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like patellar luxation, cardiac and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Cesky Terriers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Cardiac Exam
- Patella Evaluation
- Dentition Exam
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: The American Cesky Terrier Fanciers Association, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com (Barbara Hopler)
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 973-586-3033
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://ceskyterrierfanciers.org/wordpress1/rescue-and-placement/