AKC PuppyFinder: Canaan Dog Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Alert, vigilant, territorial; docile with family, aloof with strangers
- Energy Level: Very Active; Smart, quick, and responsive, Canaans enjoy work that provides mental and physical challenges
- Good with Children: Better with Older Children
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Height: 20-24 inches (male), 19-23 inches (female)
- Weight: 45-55 pounds (male), 35-45 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Breed Description
This ancient breed, now the national dog of Israel, is alert, active and vigilant. Canaan Dogs are devoted to their families, but territorial and reserved with strangers. Your Canaan Dog puppy needs early socialization, training and lots of physical and mental stimulation. They're smart and take well to positive training, excelling at dog sports like herding, flyball and agility. If he's well-trained and gets regular exercise to harness that energy, he's a docile and loving family companion.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1997
Breed History & Job Description: Shepherding was an important job for ancient Israelites: Sheep were kept not only for sustenance and wool, but also for use in ritual sacrifice. When the Romans drove the Israelites out of the Holy Land in a.d. 70, the Israelites’ herding dogs sought refuge in the Negev Desert, where they survived and, for the most part, lived undomesticated until the 20th century. A breed that fended for itself for nearly 2,000 years, Canaan Dogs still retain some qualities of self-reliant desert dwellers.
Canaan Dogs are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip or elbow dysplasia and patellar luxation. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Canaan Dogs are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Thyroid Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Canaan Dog Rescue Network
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com (Carrie Franz)
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.canaandogrescue.com/
Sorry, there are no Canaan Dog puppies.
Save this search to be notified when puppies become available.