AKC PuppyFinder: Bull Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Playful and charming; sometimes mischievous, always loyal
- Energy Level: Very Active; Lots of exercise is needed to prevent boredom and the problem behaviors that come with it
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: Not Recommended
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 21-22 inches
- Weight: 50-70 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-13 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Your short, squat Bull Terrier puppy will grow up to be a muscular and solid 50-70 pound dog. Given their looks, the breed may seem intimidating, but inside that strong body is a goofy, fun-loving sweetheart. Bull Terriers are as popular in the agility, obedience and show rings as they are as family dogs. At home, he needs only obedience training, lots of exercise and the company of his people to thrive.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1885
Breed History & Job Description: “Hinks found a Bull Terrier a battered old bum/And made him a dog for a gentleman’s chum.” So goes an old bit of doggerel. It was in the early 1860s that Englishman James Hinks took an old fighting breed, a Bulldog-terrier cross called the Bull-and-Terrier, and refined and standardized it as the modern Bull Terrier. Hinks’s dogs were white, but by the early 20th century colored specimens were seen. BTs came to the AKC in 1885 and have been show-ring crowd-pleasers ever since.
Bull Terriers are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like patella luxation or cardiac disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Bull Terriers are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Cardiac Exam
- Kidney-urine Analysis
- Patella Evaluation
- BAER Testing
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Bull Terrier Club of America Rescue
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://bullterrierclubofamericarescue.com/