AKC PuppyFinder: Brittany Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Bright, upbeat, fun-loving at home; a tireless, enthusiastic worker afield
- Energy Level: Very Active; Energetic and alert, Brittanys need plenty of exercise—preferably along their favorite human
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 17.5-20.5 inches
- Weight: 30-40 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The name Brittany Spaniel was a bit of a misnomer since this breed hunts more like pointers and is leggier than most spaniels. Now this versatile hunting dog is simply called a Brittany. They're recognizable by their boldly patterned coat and prized for their hunting skills and athleticism as well as their upbeat personality. Your Brittany puppy is an athlete-in-training and will shine at dog sports like field trials, agility, dock diving and more. Whatever it is, he's up for it. If you're ready for an active, eager and energetic companion, the Brittany is for you.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1934
Breed History & Job Description: Named for the French province of their birth, Brittanys were first registered by the AKC as Brittany Spaniels, as they still are in France (l’épagneul Breton, for you Francophiles). American and French lines diverged during the 20th century. Today, American-style Brittanys are considered more pointers than spaniels. Under any classification, Brittanys are happy, versatile gundogs prized for stamina and an excellent nose for birds. They are among America’s most popular and successful field dogs.
Like all breeds there may be some health issues, like hip dysplasia or eye diseases. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Brittanys are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club