AKC PuppyFinder: Boykin Spaniel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: A classic spaniel: friendly, eager, trainable, and lovable
- Energy Level: Very Active; Bred to be enthusiastic workers, Boykins need consistent exercise
- Good with Children: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 15.5-18 inches (male), 14-16.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 30-40 pounds (male), 25-35 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 10-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
This newer breed, named for its original breeder, is a special favorite of South Carolina waterfowl and wild turkey hunters. Like many spaniels, the Boykin Spaniel excels as a hunting partner. He can work all day in water and on land. Small in stature, with stamina to spare, he's not only an ideal gun dog, but a charming, lovable companion. He's handsome, too, with his deep brown coat and soulful eyes. Your Boykin Spaniel puppy is friendly, eager and trainable. Give him plenty of mental and physical exercise and you'll have a sweet pal around the house and a versatile, tenacious partner in the field.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 2009
Breed History & Job Description: Around 1900 Whit Boykin, of Camden, South Carolina, took possession of a brown spaniel named Dumpy, a stray found by a friend. Dumpy proved to be an excellent hunter. Boykin, an avid sportsman and dog trainer, crossed Dumpy with various spaniel breeds and eventually hit upon the upbeat gundog that today bears his name. It might’ve been more appropriate to name the breed for its foundation sire, but would you really want to own something called a Dumpy Spaniel?
Boykin Spaniels can develop problems with the ears if neglected. Clean your Boykin’s ears regularly especially after working in the water, swimming and after bathing. Please consult your vet or your breeder for a good ear cleaner.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Patella Evaluation
- EIC DNA Test
- Collie Eye Anomaly (CEA) DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Boykin Spaniel Rescue, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: (877)-LBD-DOGS
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.boykinspanielrescue.org/