AKC PuppyFinder: Boxer Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Fun-loving, bright, active and loyal
- Energy Level: Very Active; Boxers are strong, quick, busy dogs who need plenty of exercise; they enjoy challenges, both physical and mental
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 23-25 inches (male), 21.5-23.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 65-80 pounds (male), females are about 15 pounds less than male
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The adorable Boxer puppy you bring home will grow up to be a strong, handsome athlete. An intelligent breed, boxers love mental and physical challenges and plenty of exercise. Combined with their patience, playfulness and love of family, Boxers are especially good with children. Protective by nature, a Boxer pup will thrive on exposure to people and other animals to makes him a happy and loyal member of your pack.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1904
Breed History & Job Description: The Boxer’s ancestors, used as war dogs, go back perhaps as far as 2,500 b.c. The modern Boxer can be traced to Germany in the late 1800s. The breed is thought to have been bred down from a larger, heavier German breed called the Bullenbeisser. Over the years, Boxers have done many jobs: athlete, cattle dog, police dog, war dog, watchdog, protection dog, guide dog for the blind, and show dog. For many years Boxers have been among America’s top 10 most popular breeds.
Like all breeds there may be some health issues like cardiomyopathy and hypothyroidism. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Boxers are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Thyroid Evaluation
- AS\SAS Cardio
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Boxer Cardiomyopathy
- ARVC DNA Test
- Degenerative Myelopathy DNA Test
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: American Boxer Club
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com (Beth Downey)
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://americanboxerclub.org/boxersitesrescue.html
Click here to see all Boxer Rescue Groups.