AKC PuppyFinder: Boston Terrier Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Friendly, bright, amusing, and adaptable
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Curious and lively, Bostons enjoy brisk walks and lots of playtime
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Infrequent
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 15-17 inches
- Weight: 12-25 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 11-13 years
- Barking Level: Quiet
- Breed Description
Boston born and bred, the Boston Terrier is a true American gentleman. He's happy as an apartment-dwelling city dog or living anywhere his people are. Your Boston Terrier puppy, with his sturdy body and lively intelligence, is easily trained and always ready to play. Gentle, people-oriented and absolutely adorable, your pup will quickly become a beloved family member. His antics will keep you entertained and his eager affection will turn everyone he meets into a fan.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 1893
Breed History & Job Description: Sometime around 1870 Robert C. Hooper, of Boston, acquired a dog named Judge, a cross between a Bulldog and an old breed known as the English Terrier. Judge has been called the “ancestor of all true modern Bostons.” Fans of the breed set about refining their dog, and the first club devoted to Bostons was founded in 1889. Bostons are lovers not fighters, and the breed’s gentle nature earned it the nickname "The American Gentleman."
This is a brachycephalic breed so care must be taken that they do not become overheated in warm weather. In cold weather they should have a sweater or coat and must not be outside too long. Bostons should see the veterinarian for an annual wellness visit that will include a check for parasites and may include bloodwork. Bostons' eyes are easily hurt so check them daily and see a veterinarian when any injury is noted.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Patella Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- BAER Testing
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Boston Terrier Club of America, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com (Cindy Pagurski)
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 773-416-7871
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.bostonterrierclubofamerica.org/about-boston-terriers/boston-terrier-rescue.htm