AKC PuppyFinder: Boerboel Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Smart, dominant, protective, confident; loving with family, especially kids
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Boerboels can move quickly when necessary, but they’re generally stately and watchful
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 24-27 inches (male), 22-25 inches (female)
- Weight: 150-200 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 9-11 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
The strong muscular boerboel is native to south africa, where it has excelled as a working dog since the 17th century. they are bred to defend against predators, track and protect farm and family. boerboel translates as "Farm Dog" and this mastiff-type breed is an agile and intelligent worker. they're also dominant and protective of their family and may be too much dog for inexperienced owners. early obedience training, daily exercise and socialization for your boerboel puppy will help make him a good family member, confident, calm and loyal.
- History & Job
Origin: South Africa
Year Recognized: 2015
Breed History & Job Description: “Boer,” a Dutch word meaning “farmer,” was the name given to Dutch, German, and Huguenot settlers of South Africa who began arriving in the mid-1600s. To protect their remote homesteads from predators they brought along large guarding dogs, the Bullmastiff among them. The interbreeding of various European bloodlines in South Africa eventually gave rise to the Boerboel, a fearless mastiff who specialized in protection. Their agility and prodigious strength came in handy when running off or tangling with ferocious wildlife.
Boerbols are generally a healthy breed. The Boerbol, like all breeds, may develop some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Boerbols are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club