AKC PuppyFinder: Bluetick Coonhound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: A smart and devoted charmer at home; a fearless, tenacious pursuer on the trail
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; Blueticks might enjoy napping, but off-the-charts prey drive must be channeled
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 22-27 inches (male), 21-25 inches (female)
- Weight: 55-80 pounds (male), 45-65 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 11-12 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
View PhotoThe Bluetick Coonhound's name describes his dark blue mottled coat. Like other coonhounds, he's known for his superb hunting ability. This breed is known as 'cold-nosed,' which means their sense of smell allows them to easily follow old, "cold," trails. A little slower than his hot-nosed kin, he's a determined and hardy working dog, happiest with a job to do. Your Bluetick Coonhound puppy will be a great companion for an active family and may enjoy dog sports like agility.
- History & Job
Origin: United States
Year Recognized: 2009
Breed History & Job Description: Dogs classified as hounds were bred to pursue warm-blooded quarry. Hounds can be either “sighthounds” or “scenthounds.” Sighthounds use keen vision and speed to spot and pursue prey (think Greyhounds). Scenthounds—whether a Beagle pursuing a rabbit, or a Bloodhound on human scent—use an uncanny sense of smell to follow a trail over a distance to locate their quarry. Blueticks and their coon-dog cousins are scenthounds. Long ago Blueticks trailed big game; today’s smaller, sleeker model specializes on the wily raccoon.
Bluetick Coonhounds are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Bluetick Coonhounds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club
- Breed Club: American Bluetick Hound Association
- Breed Club Link: http://www.americanbluetickcoonhoundassociation.com/
- Breed Standard: View
- Group: Hound
- 2016 Popularity: 121
- Breed Club Rescue Link: https://www.facebook.com/Coonhound-Rescue-Network-Page-186296814742904/
Click here to see all Bluetick Coonhound Rescue Groups.