AKC PuppyFinder: Bergamasco Sheepdog Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Eager to please, very smart, and an indpendent problem solver; patient but protective
- Energy Level: Not Very Active; Serene and watchful, this breed has no special exercise needs
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Infrequent
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 23.5 inches (male), 22 inches (female)
- Weight: 70-84 pounds (male), 57-71 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 13-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Recognizable by his unique coat, which has three different types of hair that combine to form long mats, the Bergamasco is the quintessential herding dog. He's smart and independent, developed to work with the shepherd and solve problems on his own. He'll think of you more as his partner than his boss. Your Bergamasco puppy is also very sociable, forming relationships with each family member. Don't let the coat scare you off: once the mat develops, he needs no brushing and only a few baths a year.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2015
Breed History & Job Description: Bergamascos (Italian plural: Bergamaschi) are among several breeds that were traded around the Mediterranean basin by the Phoenicians, the wily seafaring merchants of ancient times. It’s thought Bergamascos came from Persian stock, but the breed has been associated with the town of Bergamo, near Milan, for many centuries. Described by one expert as the “shaggiest dog in the world,” the powerful, balanced, and resilient Bergamasco is ideally suited to move and guard sheep on rocky Alpine slopes.
Bergamascos are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Bergamascos are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Bergamasco Sheepdog Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://bergamascousa.com/rescue/