AKC PuppyFinder: Belgian Tervuren Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Smart, self-assured, very trainable; affectionate and possessive with loved ones
- Energy Level: Very Active; Lots of hard work and challenging play is a Terv’s idea of heaven
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Eager To Please
- Height: 24-26 inches (male), 22-24 inches (female)
- Weight: 55-75 pounds (male), 45-60 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
This high-energy, intelligent herding dog is born to work. GIve him a job to do and plenty of exercise and he'll be a delightful companion. Your Belgian Tervuren puppy takes well to training and can excel at dog sports like coursing, agility and tracking. He's alert, always ready for the next task or activity. With proper training, he'll be devoted to you, take joy in any job or challenge you give him and occasionally outsmart you with his mischievousness.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1959
Breed History & Job Description: Known in their homeland as the Chien de Berger Belge, Tervs were durable do-it-all dogs on pre-industrial farms. In the village of Tervuren, at around the turn of the 20th century, breeder M.F. Corbeel made judicious crosses between black dogs and fawn dogs to standardize Tervs as the breed we now know. Since the rise of mechanized farming, Tervs have found work as K-9 cops, search-and-rescue workers, service dogs for the disabled, and champions at dog shows, on agility courses, and in obedience and herding trials.
Belgian Tervuren are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Belgian Tervuren are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Thyroid Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: American Belgian Tervuren Club
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com (Terrie Janssen)
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 937-773-2660
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.belgiantervurenrescue.com/