AKC PuppyFinder: Beauceron Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Smart, obedient, gentle; reserved with strangers, loving and eager to please with preferred humans
- Energy Level: Very Active; Powerful, athletic, and very clever, Beaucerons needs lot of physical and mental challenges
- Good with Children: Better with Supervision
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Frequent
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 25.5-27.5 inches (male), 24-26.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 70-110 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 10-12 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
Not well known outside of France, the Beauceron is a versatile, athletic herder. In France, they're a common sight on working farms. The breed is larger than some other herding breeds, weighing as much as 100 pounds, but it shares a similar work ethic, the need for a task and an independent mind. your beauceron puppy will grow up to be a faithful, loving family member. but he'll be a lot of dog, so training and socialization are important. Give him lots of outdoor exercise and mental stimulation to channel all that energy and intelligence.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 2007
Breed History & Job Description: The Beauceron is a shepherd dog whose name is derived from Beauce, a vast agricultural region southwest of Paris. Since their development in the late Middle Ages, Beaucerons have played many roles: soldier, bodyguard, rescuer, athlete, companion, prankster, and premier mover of livestock, with a calm, stealthy working style. The breed has won hearts on both sides of the Atlantic, as much for its endearing personality as for its multifaceted working ability. Beaucerons served the French cause with distinction during both world wars.
Beaucerons are generally a healthy and hardy breed. Like all larger dog breeds they can be prone hip dysplasia. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Beaucerons are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Cardiac Exam
- Breed Club