AKC PuppyFinder: Bearded Collie Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Bouncy, charismatic, friendly; smart, but also stubborn and independent
- Energy Level: Very Active; Beardies are energetic, boisterous dogs who love outdoor exercise in all weather
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Independent
- Height: 21-22 inches (male), 20-21 inches (female)
- Weight: 45-55 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-14 years
- Barking Level: Likes To Be Vocal
- Breed Description
Beneath the shaggy coat of the Bearded Collie is a lean, agile herding dog. Like most herders, he's full of energy and high-spirits. also like other herders, he can have a mind of his own. With his dreamy, gentle expression and eagerness to get in on the action, your bearded collie puppy can be a wonderful family pet. he gets along with other animals and children and excels at dog sports, like agility, obedience and rally. The key to a happy bearded collie is exercise, mental stimulation, training and socialization. With that, he'll be a great partner for an active, outdoorsy family.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1976
Breed History & Job Description: For centuries Beardies earned their feed as rugged herding and droving dogs prized by shepherds for the ability to do a hard day’s work amid Scotland’s raw climate and hilly terrain. Beardies were expected to help control cattle at pasture and drive the herd to market. Origin stories vary, but the prevailing belief is that Beardies are descended from Central European stock, notably Polish Lowland Sheepdogs, brought to Scotland in the 1500s. Not until the 1940s, though, did Beardies become familiar outside of Scotland.
Bearded Collies are generally a healthy breed. Some health issues include hip dysplasia and eye disease. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Bearded Collies are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- Hip Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Thyroid Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: Bearded Collie Club of America
- Breed Club Rescue Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Breed Club Rescue Phone: 702-564-5679
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://beardedcollieclub.us/