AKC PuppyFinder: Basset Hound Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Patient and low-key; a bit stubborn but always charming
- Energy Level: Not Very Active; Bassets are not the most active breed but do need regular walks to stay healthy
- Good with Children: Yes
- Good with other Dogs: Yes
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Weekly
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: up to 15 inches
- Weight: 40-65 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 12-13 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- Breed Description
While most recognizable for his long, hanging ears, what sets the Basset Hound apart is personality. He's gentle and sweet with his people and a skilled hunter in the field. He's got an incredible sense of smell and is always ready to follow a scent anywhere. Your Basset Hound puppy will love to join you on long walks where he can investigate interesting new smells. With his patient and easygoing ways, he makes an ideal family pet.
- History & Job
Year Recognized: 1885
Breed History & Job Description: Basset Hounds were originally bred in France by monks who combined a variety of hounds to come up with a low-slung hunting breed that could track rabbits and deer. Their incredible sense of smell and persistence in following their noses made Bassets a popular choice with French aristocrats who enjoyed hunting on their vast estates. Bassets were brought to America by the Marquis de Lafayette, who gave a pack of the hounds to his good friend George Washington.
Basset Hounds are generally a healthy breed. Some health issues include glaucoma; thrombopathia; von Willebrand’s disease; hypothyroidism; patellar luxation; hip dysplasia; and elbow dysplasia. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Basset Hounds are healthy dogs.
Recommended Health Test from the National Breed Club:
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Breed Club
- Breed Club Rescue: The Basset Hound Club of America, Inc.
- Breed Club Rescue Email: email@example.com
- Breed Club Rescue Link: http://www.basset-bhca.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89&Itemid=194