AKC PuppyFinder: Barbet Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Cheerful, kindhearted, sensitive
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; calm housedogs, but Barbets love exercise—especially swimming
- Height: 19-24 inches
- Weight: 35-60 pounds
- Life Expectancy: 10-15 years
- History & Job
Breed History & Job Description: Some experts claim the Barbet as Europe’s original water dog, the primary ancestor of such breeds as the Poodle and Irish Water Spaniel. The Barbet has been known in France since medieval times, a cherished hunting buddy of Henri IV, Louis XV, and other French royals down through the ages. The breed name comes from the French “barbe,” meaning “beard”—the Barbet’s sporty goatee is another distinctive aspect of this unique-looking dog.
Barbets are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Barbets are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
- Breed Club
- Breed Club: Barbet Club of America
- Breed Club Link: barbetclubofamerica.com/
- Breed Standard: View
- Group: FSS
- Breed Club Rescue Link: https://www.facebook.com/BarbetClubofAmerica/