AKC PuppyFinder: Azawakh Puppies
- Breed Traits
- Personality: Deeply loyal to friends, aloof among strangers; independent and sensitive
- Energy Level: Somewhat Active; among the fastest dogs in the world, they need space to rev up their engines
- Good with other Dogs: With Supervision
- Shedding: Seasonal
- Grooming: Occasional
- Trainability: Responds Well
- Height: 25-29 inches (male), 23.5-27.5 inches (female)
- Weight: 44-55 pounds (male), 33-44 pounds (female)
- Life Expectancy: 12-15 years
- Barking Level: Barks When Necessary
- History & Job
Breed History & Job Description: The Azwakh is associated with the nomad tribes of the Sahel, the semi-arid region of western and north-central Africa. The breed is named for the region’s Azwakh Valley. Built along classic Greyhound lines, Azawakhs can crank it up to 35 mph on the straightaway. They were also expected to work guard duty, protecting the camels and goats so essential to the nomads’ survival on the Sahara. The Azwakh was introduced to Europe in the early 1970s and was brought to America in the mid-1980s.
Azawakhs are generally a healthy breed. Like all breeds there may be some health issues. Some dogs may be faced with these health challenges in their lives, but the majority of Azawakhs are healthy dogs.
Read the Official Breed Club Health Statement.
Recommended Health Tests from the National Breed Club:
- No recommended health tests
- Breed Club